Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Postage Stamp - Solids




I've been wanting to do a postage stamp quilt ever since I saw the quilt-a-long on ps i quilt. I would always go back and forth between which prints to use and which solid(s) to coordinate with them. I finally decided on using a variety of solids with random prints. This quilt was going to me for my mother, for both mothers day and recovering from back surgery, and she's been begging for a quilt with corals and lime fabrics. Those colors are hard to come by in a cute print so using solids was the way to go.


I pieced this quilt by using 2.5" strips of the solids and prints using the techniques in the quilt-a-long. I cut the strips into 4 shorter strips and divided them into sets of 9 strips (8 solids and 1 print). I sewed the strips into 3 sets of 3 and then cut them into 2.5" pieces. Then I pieced a strip from each set to make a 3x3 block containing each of the solids and a print. The finished quilt was 60x60 and had 900 little squares!


This was my first attempt at free motion quilting - I'm very happy with how it turned out :) I quilted a dense meandering pattern over the course of 3 days and 4 spools of 800m Gutermann cotton thread. Next time I'll try a less dense pattern.



 For the backing I used a lime floral pattern and for the binding I used a coral dot print. I machine stitched it and love how it turned out.




2 comments:

  1. you did a great job.
    i'm sure your mom will love it.
    thanks for sharing it with me.

    rachel griffith
    www.psiquilt.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt is awesome! You did a great job doing the quilting! Very impressive that it was your first time!

    - Katie Fleming

    ReplyDelete